Total cook time: 1 hour and 45 minutes
- 2 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces bottom-round beef, trimmed, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 1/2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1/3 cup cranberries
Preheat oven to 350
Heat oil in an oven safe pan over medium heat and cook beef until brown on all sides, about 6 minutes.
Transfer to a plate and add the rest of the oil to pan, saute onions for 1 minute. Stir frequently.
Add sage, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook for 30 seconds.
Return beef to the pan, stir in flour, cook for about 3 minutes.
Pour in broth and cook until the liquid starts to bubble and thicken, about 2 minutes.
Stir in squash.
Cover the pan and transfer to the oven. Bake for one hour.
Add in cranberries and bake for another 15 minutes.
Serve over brown rice or pasta.